Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Tuesday, April 01, 2003

One of those subjects.

They are trying to pass legislation that would mandate a 24 hour waiting period before a woman would be able to get an abortion. I could go either way on this subject.

On one hand I think it's redundant. The woman would receive information on things like how much medical care she would receive from the state if she decided not to get an abortion, adoption options, and medical facts. Do they honestly think that the woman in question making such a huge, life-altering decision didn't know all that already?

It also implicitly questions the woman's ability to make her own decisions. We're modern women and we don't need our hands held. We don't wander around fainting and swooning and not working and not voting and not holding prominent positions in our public, personal, and professional lives.

On the other hand it subdues the rabid pro-lifers. 24 hours probably isn't going to change many minds, so what does it matter? While it may shut up the pro-life nazis for a little while, it might also give them ammunition for future attempts to remove a woman's right to choose and reversing the progress that Roe vs. Wade made. I don't know. I guess now that I think about it I don't believe any politician, or anyone else for that matter, needs to be making any kind of decisions about my right to choose at all. When it comes right down to it the decision about an abortion rests on the shoulders of the woman carrying the child. Yes, the father of the baby should be able to make a case to the mother, but it is the mother's choice to either have or not have the baby. Period.

So what about the women who use abortion as a sort of birth control? I don't believe they should get any sort of public medical assistance to fund the abortions. If she has more than one abortion for any reason other than the health of the child, the health of the mother, or rape, she better be paying for it her damn self. And if she can afford several abortions, she can damn sure afford condoms or The Pill, The Patch, or The Shot -- so get the woman some counseling.

To all you pro-life fucks, I leave you with this:

Would you wave your signs and bang your Bibles at a woman who had just been gang-raped and impregnated?

No comments: