I know I'm sleep deprived. I recognize this. And yet I try to push myself when I know I shouldn't.
I wanted to make gumbo tonight for dinner but after discovering that it takes at least 2.5 hours I decided to prepare the ingredients and put it together tomorrow.
I have never, ever successfully made roux. I've actually had it explode on the stove. I'm 0 for 3.
Make that 0 for 4. I found that one can make roux in the microwave. How could even I screw that up? Oh, I can.
So in my sleep deprived state my brain shut off temporarily and I forgot that boiling oil does, in fact, melt plastic. I'm sure you already know where this is going.
So my favorite (real) Tupperware bowl is toast and there's roux splatters all over the floor that I can't be bothered to clean up right now since I'm feeling so defeated.
So what's for dinner then? It actually turned out for the better. I made up a box of Velveeta Brand Shells and Cheesetm®© (you can't go generic with this stuff) but felt like I needed some actual nutrition this evening. I had a container of pureed sweet potatoes that I had left over after freezing it in cubes for Lily. I mixed it in with the VS&C and dumped in a bunch of Cajun seasoning since I'm obviously in the mood for Cajun -- and what do you know -- it's really good! I'm not sure I'm going to eat plain VS&C ever again.
So learn from my mistake, kids. Boiling oil and plastic aren't friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment