Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Another working mom's vent

I'm going to riff on Lutherliz's post about the lack of classes and fun stuff available for working parents and their kids.

I don't know the statistics, and I can't be arsed to look them up, but I'm willing to venture a guess that most parents in the US right now are working parents.  And most of us have day jobs.  So staying up until midnight to sign up for an evening or weekend community ed class the moment registration opens?  Not cool.  Free family movies at the Mall of America?  Tuesday mornings.  Wee Wednesdays at the Midtown Global Market?  10:00 AM.  Playdates, parenting groups, mom & me classes, La Leche League meetings: all weekdays during business hours.

Working parents: we have to fix this.  So what can we do?  Start a letter writing campaign?  Raise funds to guarantee community ed classes for us?  How can we use technology to our advantage?  Start a website that lists things just for us?

I'm not a web developer but I know what would be nice in a website like that.  At the very least it should be searchable and browseable for activities, cost, day, time, age, etc. 

1 comment:

Marketing Mama said...

Yeah, they are out there if you look hard enough, but the demand just must not be as great for us working parents... I'm guessing. It's nearly impossible to get into the evening swimming classes...

I agree with you 100% but you know what I think the problem is? Most of us working parents are just so freakin busy that we don't have as much time to squeeze activities into the evenings.