Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Herp derp numbers

I'm looking at starting school in January to get a CIS degree.  I am not looking forward to the math classes I will be forced to take.

Here's a semi-related tangent: the Korean number and counting system sucks.  Hard.  It's completely baffling to me why they would have to completely different sets of numbers.  One set is used to count certain things, and the other set is used to count other certain things.  And then just to be really confusing sometimes you have to mix the two, like when you're telling time.  You say the hour one way and the minutes the other. 

I've always struggled with math.  I'm sure I'm somewhere on the dyscalculia spectrum.  I have no problem with fractions.  I was always able to make my way through algebra.  But when it comes to understanding the concepts behind math and putting them into practice I just can't seem to make the connections.  When I see a bunch of numbers my brain sort of goes into a test pattern and a beta wave hum.  I have a very hard time paying attention to the weather report on the news or even just remember what time it is.  Phone numbers and addresses are a joke.

The majority of my math issues stem from one very terrible math teacher, Mrs. Osiecki, in junior high.  This woman's teaching style was and still is incomprehensible to me.  We'd spend the entire period going over the previous day's homework, then maybe spend the last five minutes on what we were supposed to be doing that night.  What?  My stepmom also had Mrs. Osiecki and also credits her for a lifelong math learning problem.

As an aside, Mrs. Osiecki the woman is kind of a legend in my hometown.  We'd take bets on how many pens she'd pull out of her afro (she's a white woman) in any given school period.  I bet you can still see her around town to this day, giant fro bouncing up and down as she jogs. 

Mrs. Osiecki taught 7th grade algebra.  I barely passed.  Subsequent classes in junior high and high school in trig, statistics, functions, and geometry were completely ruined for me.  When I got to college I took what was basically a remedial math course called Math Appreciation in which our final grade was based on writing an essay.  About math.  I took the smartass route and wrote something called "The Hatred and Humor of Math" where I basically made fun of math geeks.  Somehow I got an A.

I seriously doubt the credits from that class will have any bearing on my future college career.  Now I'm looking at the daunting list of college algebra, trigonometry, discrete math, and calculus.  And those are just the pre-reqs.  I will also have to take calculus II or higher and comp theory or whatever seq. & par. algebra is.  I'm doomed.

My thought: They make machines to do the computating for us.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Oseiki, there's a name a person never forgets. I never had her as a teacher, exactly, but during 9th grade, I was a peer tutor, and I was assigned to help one of her students. Were you in that class, too? I don't remember for sure. I just remember that during the few minutes we had at the end of class, when I could try to explain this stuff to the girl I was helping, I ended up with a whole group of people listening to me, because they were learning more from me than they had from her. Her teaching style was terrible.
The crazy thing is when they decided I couldn't continue with the tutoring after a few weeks, because my math class was a day or two behind her's and they figured I couldn't possible help teach something I hadn't learned yet.
Funny, no one considerred that perhaps I had been placed in the wrong math, since I had been successfully teaching stuff I hadn't been offically taught...