tl;dr: If you use partial RSS feeds, I hate you.
Unless you're living in the year 2005, don't give me the bullshit about needing to track clickthroughs. You know and I know that every RSS tracking tool like Feedburner makes counting clickthroughs unnecessary.
And if you're a small-time (yes still fabulous) blogger and you're using a partial RSS feed, you have no excuse.
Here's another argument you may not have heard: corporate firewalls.
I spend 99% of my Internet time at work behind a corporate firewall. So no YouTube for me. Which is (usually) fine. But they also block a random assortment of sites like LiveJournal and Tumblr. DeviantArt, Blogger, Wordpress, Wimp, Liveleak -- those are A-OK.
So if I have the forethought to add an RSS feed of from a blog on one of the forbidden sites to Google Reader when I'm at home I can at still read them at work.
But if I only get the first sentence or a paragraph or two and am expected to click through to the site to read the rest, that's the end of the experience for me. If you need to put an ad in your RSS feed, fine. I'm going to block it with a browser plug in anyway, same as the ones on your main page. Just put the damn content in your full feed for fuck's sake.
So to you partial RSS feeders, I say fie! FIE ON YOU!
I'm looking at you, The Sneeze, Mila's Daydreams, Waiter Rant, Black Agenda Report, John K, Mom-101, A. Lee, and Blah Blah Babycakes.
Those are just the blogs. The Kitchn does THE MOST ANNOYING THING IN THE WORLD. If they cross-post something from Re-Nest or Ohdeeoh or one of their other sites and I don't notice that it's a cross-post, not only do I have to click through to Kitchn, but then I have to click through AGAIN to get to the actual content. This is the WORST THING EVER.

No comments:
Post a Comment