Mixed results on measures banning same-sex marriage - CNN.com
I have refrained from talking about who precisely I was going to vote for until now. I'll be honest, I struggled with this one.
I have been a fervent Ralph Nader supporter for the last 8+ years. I proudly voted for him in 2004.
I did not vote for Nader yesterday. I voted for Obama. I made the decision to give him my vote last week. This one was far too important to leave to the assumption that Minnesota is a blue state. I don't agree with Obama 100%, but it's close.
So I'm ecstatic about our new president. So were our neighbors, who were launching fireworks last night. I forgive them. I probably wouldn't have gotten any sleep last night anyway.
But the bittersweet part comes in when it comes down to the state propositions and amendments. I'm thrilled that MN's environment and arts funding amendment passed. I'm happy that Minneapolis's per-pupil funding increase passed since our kids will be partaking in that extra $585. So yay Minnesota!
I'm super excited about California's Prop. 2 passing (maybe it will spark similar legislation across the country), but I'm biting my nails on Prop. 8. No -- make that I'm severely pissed off that Prop. 8 (and its doppelgangers in AZ and FL) even exists. If the question of whether to ban interracial marriage would have appeared on ballots in the 50s or even the 60s, there's no doubt that the ban would have been passed through popular vote. Ditto on suffrage and just about any civil/human rights issue you can think of.
Speaking of writing hate and bigotry into law, the assholes in Arkansas prohibit unmarried sexual partners from adopting or fostering children. Bravo, dicks, Because what we all need are more unparented children coming out of orphanages. I have not heard if this affects single folks.
A giant thank you to South Dakota for not banning abortion. Yay, Planned Parenthood!
And Michigan, you are also awesome not only for going blue this time around, but for allowing embryonic stem cell research and furthering science for all. And -- AND! Michigan! Medical marijuana! You guys rock.
Nebraska, you surprised me with your ban on discrimination/preferential treatment based on race. Now if only you could have squeaked in sexual orientation....
One of my favorites is Washington, which has legalized physician-assisted suicide for terminal patients. Another win for reason!
South Carolina finally stepped into the real world and raised the age of sexual consent from 14 (!) to 16. 14?!
So there you have it. It's only going to get more interesting from here on out.

No comments:
Post a Comment