Lily's still not really talking yet. She did try to say "one, two, three" yesterday and it sounded like "uh, oua, eh." But she's trying!
She's got this bad habit of not wanting to eat or drink unless I'm physically feeding her. Last night she want so far as to grab my hand, move it to her cup, and make me hold it for her while she sucked on the straw. Ah hell naw... this stops today.
Speaking of eating, she still won't eat more than a bite or two of meat. I am OK with this, but it's difficult because I've been in a carnivorous mood lately. I think it's the change of seasons.
I'm dreaming of the day when I can do something with her hair. It's so thin and fine that there's no way I could get it into pigtails or anything. As much of a pain in the ass as it is for me, I wish she would have inherited my family's thick, dark hair. We'll have to beat the boys off with sticks because of her straight, soft, strawberry blonde hair.
We met some of the other kids on the block the other day. It's weird that we've been living there for over five years and haven't really seen anyone's kids. One couple carts their new baby all over town (to Plymouth!) for playgroups, new dad groups, and that sort of thing. Another lady sequesters her three kids in the backyard and was ruminating on how much better she feels now that there's a padlock on their fence gate so she can run in the house for two minutes to change her youngest's diapers and let the other two stay outside. I wanted so badly to suggest she read Free Range Kids but I was polite and kept my mouth shut. One of the ladies on the block is currently unemployed and stays home with her 1-year-old and is thinking about organizing a playgroup or babysitting exchange. So we've got that going for us. Hopefully.
It's so amazing how different everyone's parenting styles can be even on one city block.

No comments:
Post a Comment