It's week 23. Lily has reached the point in her life where all her toys are dumb and boring and therefore Mama had to take a trip out for replacements. I managed to score a couple of things that I will no doubt be more excited about than my daughter. The items in question are two Little Golden Books: Richard Scarry's Chipmunk's ABC (the 1963 printing in near-mint condition) and Baby Animals by Garth Williams (I assume it's the original printing and it's also in near-mint condition). I will henceforth be scouring all the local thrift shops in town for more vintage LGB. Awesome! I also got an Exersaucer for a decent price. Lily's been all about putting weight on her legs so she's pretty happy about this.
Like I said, Lily has been fairly finicky about toys lately. We'll hand her, say, a rattle, and she'll touch it to her mouth for a second before tossing it across the room. Soft toys garner a, "What the hell is this?" look after being tossed. The only thing that she really likes is this butterfly/dragonfly thing that makes silly noises and has blinking red cheeks.
There's no new news on the teething front. She's still got molars just under the surface. The drooling has gone down considerably.
I need to get a food mill so I can start making baby food. We're only occasionally giving her rice cereal now since she decided that her highchair is The Devil. I'm trying to warm her back up to it by sitting her in it and giving her toys. But now that all her toys are dumb and boring it's getting tough. She'll take a couple of mouthfuls of rice cereal if it's thick enough (apparently watery cereal is for babies), then she'll get bored and start screaming.
The screaming. The screaming! She found that screaming = get Mama and Dada to pick the baby up. At least I think so. She's technically too young to grasp cause/effect now. Anyway, the screaming is at a register that instantly causes you to stop in your tracks and cringe, moments before your brain shuts down and instincts come down straight from your brain stem that make you do anything to stop the evil noise. I don't know what we can do to discourage this since I revert to a primative animal every time it happens.
She makes up for it by being adorable and cuddly so I suppose we'll manage.

No comments:
Post a Comment