Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Foodblogging: Perfect Coconut Curry!

Finally I think I've perfected my fast veggie coconut curry!  I've covered this before but this time I think I really nailed it.

I used the red version of the same brand of curry paste as before.  I've been a little intimidated by it because I'm not hugely into overly spicy stuff, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the red stuff is slightly milder and a little less "bright" than the green.

All I had was light coconut milk.  At first I was like, ehhh about that, but I think that was the way to go.  It wasn't over-the-top creamy and tasted good on a hot summer day.

Warning: you end up with a buttload of veggies after you chop them all.  I think I had about 7 cups of veggies total.  You only need 2 cups of the veggie mixture and the rest can go in the freezer.  It's possible to cut down the recipe by 1/3 and I'll put that option [in brackets].  The veggie ratios don't matter that much and you can use whatever veggies you have lying around.  Broccoli in particular would have been nice in this.

Red Coconut Curry

1 red bell pepper [1/3 red bell pepper], cut into 3" long matchsticks.
2 [1 carrot] large carrots, cut into 3" matchsticks
1 [1/2] yellow summer squash, cut into 3" matchsticks
1 [1/3 sweet potato] sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3" matchsticks
2 [1 ear] ears sweetcorn, kernels sliced off
1/2 [1/4 cup] cup peas

1/2 block firm tofu, 1/2" cubes
1 can light coconut milk
1-4 tsp red Thai curry paste (I used around 1 1/2 tsp)
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt, 1/4 tsp or to taste
soy sauce, to taste
lime wedges
hot cooked rice

Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium heat.  Add curry paste and saute for 1 minute.  Add coconut milk and tofu.  Simmer 5 minutes.

Add veggies, then salt to taste (I used around 1/4 tsp of kosher salt).  Cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Serve over rice and pass the soy sauce and lime.

No comments: