The best way that I've found is to wrap the tofu in a towel and weigh it down with a plate and a bunch of heavy bowls for at least 30 minutes, if not an hour first. The drier it is the better it seems to bake.
Then brushing it with some kind of oil (in this case sesame) before the final flavoring keeps that leathery texture to a minimum. I've baked tofu that has been marinated but it never gets a very good texture that way. It's almost like you have to press it again to get the moisture from the marinade out first.
This teriyaki tofu recipe is great because the teriyaki sauce is nice and thick and goopy and doesn't soak the tofu enough for it to get spongy and soggy. I've used a thick lemon sauce (think Chinese lemon chicken) as a baste with good results too.
You can put the tofu on a cooling rack on your baking sheet too if you're looking for a good crisp crust all around.
2 comments:
How do you bake your tofu? I have such a rough time cooking with it at home.
The best way that I've found is to wrap the tofu in a towel and weigh it down with a plate and a bunch of heavy bowls for at least 30 minutes, if not an hour first. The drier it is the better it seems to bake.
Then brushing it with some kind of oil (in this case sesame) before the final flavoring keeps that leathery texture to a minimum. I've baked tofu that has been marinated but it never gets a very good texture that way. It's almost like you have to press it again to get the moisture from the marinade out first.
This teriyaki tofu recipe is great because the teriyaki sauce is nice and thick and goopy and doesn't soak the tofu enough for it to get spongy and soggy. I've used a thick lemon sauce (think Chinese lemon chicken) as a baste with good results too.
You can put the tofu on a cooling rack on your baking sheet too if you're looking for a good crisp crust all around.
Post a Comment