Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Oooh look how green we are

How far we've come! And how far we have to go.

Dan got a new job super close to home, as in, 2 miles from home. I'm 3.7 miles from home. I do ride a scooter now, but once the weather clears up I'm making it my goal to ride my bike at least once a week. Dan is planning on riding his bike. So our gas expendatures will be going down exponentially starting next week. WOO HOO!

This alone makes me extremely happy. But wait -- there's more. We recycle everything we can. We compost everything we can. We've gone from two to three bags of trash a week to maybe one. I now shop for groceries on the basis of how much packaging each item has. Bulk bins are my favorite things ever. And you should see our pile of reusable grocery bags now. Plastic bags and plastic water bottles are banned in our house.

To-Do:
  • Make mesh produce bags
  • Get more stuff on power strips to cut down on vampire energy useage
  • Replace the dryer vent
  • Replace plastic storage with glass storage
  • Set up one of those fold-down clotheslines
  • Expand the garden
  • Replace the behemoth furnace
  • Replace the front window
  • Install solar panels and go completely off the grid
  • Take over the world

Here's the frustrating part: I feel like we're doing everything we can to be as green as possible but we've hit an economic wall. We can't afford to replace the furnace and window and who can afford solar panels, anyway?

No comments: