Oh scooter, how I love you, even in 33 degree temperatures.
I work in our Edina office on Wednesdays so I was excited to go on my first "long distance" trip. My scooter, who I have named Gretchen, started up like a champion this morning (I've had choke issues the past couple of days because it's so friggin' cold out). I wore longjohns under my pants, my full face motorcycle helmet, a scarf, my thermal hoodie under my winter coat, and a pair of stretchy gloves under my riding gloves. My legs were a bit chilly but it was nothing I couldn't deal with. My hands were another problem altogether though. I need a pair of cold weather riding gloves. They make heated leather gloves but I just can't bring myself to spend $130 for them. It will be 50 degrees later today so I'm going to take a trip to the credit union in Bloomington.
People on the road are a lot more scooter-friendly than I thought they would be. Gretchen only gets up to a top speed of 30 MPH, and that's usually only when I'm going downhill. If I'm on a relatively quiet four lane road I say fuck it and ride in the right lane. If I'm on a busier road or a 2-lane road I'll ride off to the side like a bicycle. People have been pretty good about letting me get over to the left lane when I have to turn, with the exception of one impatient guy last night on Portland and 40th.
I've learned that scooter riders honk and wave at each other, especially when your scooter is the same color. This makes me smile. I feel like I'm part of an exclusive club of very friendly and happy people. I've also learned that pedestrians like to talk to you at red lights. A pink and white scooter is a fabulous conversation piece.
I'm already really happy about selling my motorcycle for this scooter. I'll still have access to the motorcycle because it's at my parents'. Dan will probably learn to ride on it. But with the scooter I feel like I have more freedom to buzz around town doing errands or just riding for the hell of it. Now Dan wants a scooter too.
Every time I pull into the garage after a ride I have an enormous grin on my face. That alone is worth the cold hands in the morning.
I swear I'll have pictures soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment