Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Friday, June 13, 2008

Foodblogging: Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake


Wait, that's not rhubarb upside-down cake. That's the salad I had for dinner last night. I was craving a giant salad (yes, that's a mixing bowl. And yes, it was all for me.) so I picked up a couple different types of lettuce, some spinach, a pint of strawberries, crumbled feta, and poppyseed dressing. It hit the spot.

But onto the main event. When I was at the store I picked up some rhubarb. It may be the biggest rhubarb I've ever seen. I told my husband that you could probably beat someone to death with this mutant rhubarb.

(Finger for scale)

I was originally planning on making muffins or cupcakes but I kept coming back to this recipe. While this was baking it filled the house with the most obnoxiously delicious aroma of cinnamon and fruit and sin.

You start off by soaking 1/2 cup oats in 2/3 cup boiling water while you prepare everything else. The recipe called for quick oats but I had old fashioned so I just let them sit longer. The cake turned out just fine.

Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1/3 cup sugar in an 8x8 baking dish. Put 2 cups of chopped rhubarb on top of this and set aside.


This is a boring picture. It's a medium bowl in which I have mixed 1 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt.

Here are the wet ingredients. Why is sugar always a wet ingredient? I have no idea. But you mix 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup oil in a large bowl.


Add the flour mixture and the soaked oats and stir until juuuuuust combined. Lumps and white streaks are OK.

Pour this mess over your rhubarb and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 50 minutes.

This is why I don't bake more often. I feel like I have to clean EVERY DAMN DISH in my kitchen afterwards.


After you pull the cake out of the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes, put a serving plate (or an old, mismatched orphan plate) on top of it and carefully invert. It's an upside-down cake, remember? Some of the rhubarb stuck to the pan so I just scraped it out and plopped it back on top.

This is why I should bake more often. This would be AWESOME with whipped cream or vanilla frozen yogurt, or perhaps fresh cream whipped with a touch of Cointreau and cinnamon.

Full recipe at Better Homes & Gardens.

No comments: