Raw Food "Pasta" With Tomato-Basil SauceThings you could do to this: use several different types of tomatoes, add a little fresh oregano or tarragon, use yellow summer squash or cucumber, add nut cheese, sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
4 medium tomatoes (preferably the kind on the vine or from your garden)
1 sprig fresh basil
1 clove garlic (or more/less according to your taste)
4 medium zucchini
Puree tomatoes, basil, and garlic in food processor or blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Slice the zucchini into thin strips using a vegetable peeler or mandolin or supreme knife skillz, then cut lengthwise into desired noodle-like width.
Top zucchini with sauce.
Serves: 2
Calories: 110
Fat: 2
Carbs: 24
Protein: 7
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Foodblogging: Raw Food "pasta" with tomato-basil sauce
I've always been curious about raw food. Unfortunately most of the recipes out there call for some pretty specialized equipment. I'd love a food dehydrator, juicer, and Saladacco but I just don't have room in my kitchen for such things. So here's a recipe that can be done with standard kitchen equipment, or a knife if you really wanted to get down that way.
Here's three out of the four ingredients. Four tomatoes, a sprig of basil, and a clove of garlic will make your sauce.
I didn't feel like dragging out my food processor that's got a broken lid anyway so I opted for my mini chopper that came with my stick blender and worked in two batches.
Once it was whizzed up I tasted it and added a little salt and pepper. There was no need for anything else. These tomatoes are so sweet and full of flavor right now!
Here's ingredient number four: zucchini. I used a vegetable peeler to get thin slices (oh how I wish my mandolin wasn't crap) and cut them down to roughly fettuccine/tagliatelle width.
...and that's it. Not exactly the most complicated recipe in the world. I guess that's the beauty of the raw food thing. I was a bit apprehensive about the raw zucchini thing. I adore cooked zucchini but wasn't sure how it would taste without being sauteed in butter or baked with olive oil or grilled or anything. Verdict: amazing. I'm sold. I was also worried about it being filling enough. It was. If you are looking for something really substantial then you could always add some chopped cashews to sprinkle over the top and serve with sprouted bread or something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment