From a decidedly NOT Christian perspective, I say harrumph to this review. I've been in love with Lewis' Narnia books since I could read. I've been in love with them through my Christian, Pagan, and whatever-I-am-now days. I nearly peed my pants when The Wardrobe movie came out. I'm in a similar pants-peeing state over Prince Caspian. And you know what? My non-Christian mind remains intact. I have not found Jesus in Narnia.
What's wrong with viewing the books/movies as simply entertaining pieces of fantasy? What's wrong with turning your brain off for a couple of hours and watching the animals talk?
***
What, am I sick or something? All I had for breakfast was one tiny piece of cinnamon swirl bread. I'm eating now at noon just because I think I should, not because I'm particularly hungry. On a normal day I eat a breakfast involving carbs and at least one egg or a pile of tofu, then I'm starving again by 9:00 so I'll have a small snack, then I'm starving by 11:00 and I'll eat lunch. I didn't even realize that it was noon until the lady across from me said, "I'm hungry!"
Dan made an interesting point this weekend. His family really seems to go out of the way to accommodate my non-bird-and-mammal eating ways. I always offer to bring something for myself or just eat side dishes, but they've always got at least one substantial dish/side dish for me.
My family, on the other hand, seems to think that this is some kind of passing fad. Sure, I tried vegetarianism for like a week when I was in junior high (or something like that, I don't remember that ever happening) but I was not ready for the full transition at that point, not to mention I didn't do the grocery shopping. But now here I am, dangerously close to my 30's, and fully invested in my food choices. It's not that I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste, it's because I see images in my mind of chickens being boiled alive, pigs getting kicked, and half-dead cows getting their throats cut. I've looked into the eyes of cows and seen a soul.
*shiver*
And yet, after over a year of me reminding them that I don't eat bird or mammal, there's not even a hint of them getting that this is not just a phase.
Oh well, I just have to stop at the store before I visit my family, which is no big deal. It's not that I expect anyone to bend over backwards for my eating habits, it's more the attitude that bothers me. Oh well. I'm not going into my family's negativity-worship here.
***
Dan made an interesting point this weekend. His family really seems to go out of the way to accommodate my non-bird-and-mammal eating ways. I always offer to bring something for myself or just eat side dishes, but they've always got at least one substantial dish/side dish for me.
My family, on the other hand, seems to think that this is some kind of passing fad. Sure, I tried vegetarianism for like a week when I was in junior high (or something like that, I don't remember that ever happening) but I was not ready for the full transition at that point, not to mention I didn't do the grocery shopping. But now here I am, dangerously close to my 30's, and fully invested in my food choices. It's not that I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste, it's because I see images in my mind of chickens being boiled alive, pigs getting kicked, and half-dead cows getting their throats cut. I've looked into the eyes of cows and seen a soul.
*shiver*
And yet, after over a year of me reminding them that I don't eat bird or mammal, there's not even a hint of them getting that this is not just a phase.
Oh well, I just have to stop at the store before I visit my family, which is no big deal. It's not that I expect anyone to bend over backwards for my eating habits, it's more the attitude that bothers me. Oh well. I'm not going into my family's negativity-worship here.

No comments:
Post a Comment