Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sara, thug

I'm not usually the type of person who blogs about what her cats did on a daily basis, but I have to pretend to be the crazy cat lady for a moment because this makes me giggle.

I have a little cat named Sara. I got her from the Humane Society when she was about 6 months old. She was previously a stray so we often joke about her street cred. She's been indoors since 2001.

One of the cats next door is named Max. He's an outdoor cat. He struts around the neighborhood in his collar with a bell on it. He's a fickle cat; one minute he'll let you pet him and the next he's on his back with claws out. He likes to sit on our front step in front of the screen door and taunt our indoor cats.

Last night Dan and I were out working in the front yard. Sara was yowling at Max through the screen as usual. The next thing I knew, Sara was out in the yard going after Max with her tail poofed out like, "Oh no you DI'INT be all up in my lawn!" It took me a second to process the fact that Sara was actually on the wrong side of the screen door. My sweet, innocent, petite little Seniorita Sarita was boldly going after a very surprised Max and was ready to pounce when I scooped her up and put her back inside. I don't know what she thought she was going to do, as she has no front claws.

(An aside: I'm not happy about the declawing that happened, but I had no choice because I lived with my parents for a short time after I got her and they were adamant. I'm completely 100% against declawing now.)

It turns out the cats and dogs had put their paws up on the screen so many times that it had pulled away on one side and Sara was able to slip through this. It's currently repaired with duct tape. Yes, we're the classy neighbors.

As much as this little episode makes me laugh, I'm worried now because Sara has had a taste of the great outdoors again. Hopefully she'll forget all about it and won't look for other escape routes.

No comments: