We got a lot done this weekend. I got to lay in the sun for about an hour on Friday and get some tan lines started, which makes me very happy. I'm like a walking solar battery.
Got up early on Saturday morning and convinced Dan to come with me (with the promise of breakfast) to a lady's plant sale in Hopkins. I bought an awful lot of perennials for $34 and I have no idea what any of them are. I know I've got one of two flowering plants and at least one lily. I planted them randomly around the front landscaping and I'm hoping for the best. After breakfast at the Calhoun Grill (OMG crab cake benedict yum!) we walked a few doors down to Barnes and Noble and I got four books from the dollar bin (Blowing My Cover: My Life as a CIA Spy sounded interesting and it was only a buck. Also got a religion nerd book about the Apocrypha -- yay!). Dan got a book on building landscape stuff. He's got a bee in his bonnet about building… something. Anything. He wants to put a pond in the back yard (yay!) and I'd like to maybe build a big arbor thing over our patio. I have dreams of Better Homes and Gardens visiting and shooting my yard. We've got quite a ways to go there. Besides that, we're probably not going to be in this house for too many more years so we can sort of be like "eh…" about everything.
We ran home to grab some checks, then went to the credit union and spontaneously got a safety deposit box. Does that make us real adults now?
Then we went to Home Depot. Motherfucking goddamn Home Depot. So check this out: we're wandering around trying to find parts to build a rain barrel out of a free 55 gallon plastic drum that Dan got from his last job. We're staring at the wall of fittings. Staring at my rain barrel plans. Staring at the wall of fittings. Staring at the plans. Looking around for an orange vest. Staring at the fittings. An orange vest comes by and he's on the phone with a customer who's looking for a specific fitting. We wait patiently. He gets off the phone. I ask for help. He doesn't even make eye contact and just walks away. I call after him, "We need help! Oh, OK, or you can just walk away and ignore us… yeah, I see you walking away, dude!" Seriously, not even a backward glance from the guy. No, "I'll be right with you," or, "I'll send someone over to help."
Fucking egregious.
So we leave the basket full of the things that we had picked up so far on a dryer and leave Home Depot for what I hope will be the last time ever. Dan and I both had a bad taste in our mouths from the experience and were snippy at each other.
Hooray for Ace! Someone approached us within the first two minutes we were there. They didn't have exactly what we needed hardware-wise, so the guy really tried to push the rain barrels they were selling. Stupid hardware guy quote of the month: "By the time you get all the parts that you need to build one it's going to be more expensive than just buying one that's all put together." Umm, no. A second guy came over to help while we were deciding on an alternate plan and hooked us up with a spigot and the washers and nut that we needed to get the job done. Total spent: under $15. What they wanted for their rain barrels: $120. I also picked up a ton of bulbs that were buy-one-get-one-free (ROCK!).
I called my dad to see if he had a 3/4" hole saw that we could come down and use. He did and also let us know that he was done fixing Dan's boat, which was his birthday present. Yeah baby, a week early.
We picked up Dan's acoustic guitar from Twin Town and hit up some nearby yard sales. I got a steel beverage bucket and ice bucket combo that I'm turning into planters, a black camisole that I have a feeling I'm going to be living in this summer, and some super rad shoes.
Finally got back home and I planted furiously before we went down to Burnsville to barbecue and pick up the boat. Turns out the trailer lights stopped working so we left that night sans boat.
Got up early again on Sunday and repotted my zucchini and yellow squash that were outgrowing the seed starting tray. We went back down to Burnsville and got the boat and newly rewired trailer. Finished out the weekend with some Sims 2 and brain-melting TV watching. Cripes, no wonder I hardly watch TV.
Tonight: skating around Nokomis, then House! Mmmm…. House.

No comments:
Post a Comment