Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Sunday, February 07, 2010

The awesome things in my grandparents' house

My grandparents' house is probably no different than yours.  It is filled with decades' worth of the bizarre, the outdated, and the questionable.  My grandparents have always shared a campy and blue sense of humor.  Here are some of the things that capture their personalities.

 
 A few years ago my stepmom went on a kick with these antique bank things.  These are the ones my grandma has on display, presumably to terrify anyone who goes down to the basement.

Here's an example of some of the "decor" that is still clinging to the walls.  I can't decide which decade these belong to.  '60s?  '70s?  '80s?

My grandma is Polish and Swedish and never misses an opportunity for a Polak joke.

 
These are the Pick Up Stix from my youth.  And an empty generic honey bottle, which cannot be explained.


I can only presume that my parents brought these back from Korea.  It's cool that Gramma keeps these on display.

 
Gramma has a lot of Kewpie dolls.  It seems like her displayed collection has been whittled down to two.

I have no words for this.  I just don't know. 

 
Deer as decor.

I love this owl candle so much.  Now that owls are back in style Gramma is hip again.

 
Um, I don't know.


Now we're back to the deer theme.  I originally wanted Lily's bedroom to be decorated with vintage deer and owls but couldn't find enough of them to make it happen.  This is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind.  Note the clock in the background -- my parents went to Vegas in the '80s and came back with about ten of these clocks.  It's a recurring theme in my extended families' houses.

Do you remember these?  My mom at one point worked at Hardee's.  She came home with this one day and I was super pissed that she gave it to my Gramma instead of me.

This is a scary coconut.

My Gramma is the rebate queen.  She used to have an entire room filled with receipts and UPCs.  There are things like this all over her house.  Note also the Jovan White Musk, one of Gramma's favorites.  No smell reminds me of her more than this.

This is awesome and that's all there is to it.

These have been in the bathroom for longer than I have been alive.
  
No idea.

There is so much awesome on this wall.  My Gramma is a giant Minnesota Twins fan.  She rarely misses a "Twinkies" game on TV or the radio.  I remember that fish pan thing from the original cabin that used to be where the house is now.

No comments: