I've been using whole milk because it tastes better and it's better for you. I haven't gone un-homogenized only because I'm not sure I've ever seen it at the co-op.
I have a yogurt maker and it's nice to be able to have single-serving pots of yogurt in the fridge but I've also made it in pint canning jars in my oven. Here's how:
Yogurt
Ingredients:
Whole milk* (however much will fit into your chosen containers)
6 oz container of plain yogurt (preferably organic, and must have live and active cultures. You can also use homemade yogurt from your last batch or get a yogurt starter from a co-op or the Internet)
Procedure:
Slowly bring the milk to an almost-boil on the stove or in the microwave, stirring often. You don't want to burn it or boil it. Take it off the heat when it just starts to climb the pan. Let it come back to to room temperature or just above. Whisk in the yogurt. I use my immersion blender for this so it's nice and smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into your containers.
Put your containers into your oven. If you have a gas oven the pilot should be giving off enough heat. If you have an electric oven the light should do the trick. Leave it in there for 8-24 hours. Less time = runnier and milder yogurt. I like to go a full 20-24 hours for a very thick, very tart yogurt.
Chill for at least 3 hours before you eat.
*Note: Lower fat milk and soymilk requires a different amount of time and the possible addition of milk powder; you can just Google that yourself.I've been enjoying mine with a spoonful of strawberry preserves or plain with a drizzle of honey. Lily likes hers with applesauce, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
If you're into Greek yogurt, line a strainer with cheesecloth, a coffee filter, or a paper towel and put it over a bowl. Strain your yogurt in this contraption in your fridge until it's as thick as you like. If you keep straining and squeezing out the whey you'll end up with yogurt cheese that you can use in place of cream cheese in dips and frostings. Or just spread it on crackers or bread with jam or chutney.

No comments:
Post a Comment