I have a small batch of daikon kimchi fermenting away on the counter. I can hardly wait until it's done.
This week was the first time I've bought fresh daikon. I've only ever had it in that neon yellow pickled form (단무지 or danmuji) or in kimchi. Danmuji is good in small amounts on its own or in kimbap, a sort of Korean sushi roll. But I worry about the yellow dye commercial danmuji makers use so I'm not wild about buying it since it only seems to come in gigantic packages that we'd never finish.
But fresh daikon -- now here's something really special. You know how a regular round radish has that spicy bite and a harsh pungency? But how it has such a satisfying crunchy texture?
Now imagine that texture and a mild, sort of sweet pungency without the kill-you-hotness. That's what fresh daikon tastes like.
I'm not sure why I've never had it until now. I can imagine all sorts of applications for this. Salads. Stir fry. On top of tacos. Shredded on top of guacamole. Mixed into mandu or bao filling. Chili topping. Mixed with broccoli and raisins and lightly tossed with vinegar, oil, and sugar. Empanadas. And oh my, doesn't this look tasty?



No comments:
Post a Comment