Always sexy
[this blog left intentionally ugly]

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mama Thursday: Some rare toddler strife

We ended up staying over at my parents' place on Saturday night because we were drunk engaged in conversation and it was late.  I'm not a big fan of doing this because:
  • The guest bed is a full sized mattress, which is juuuuust too small for the two of us.
  • The mattress is also firmer than I prefer so I end up tossing and turning all night.
  • There is a grandfather clock right outside the door that chimes EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES OMG KILL IT WITH FIRE so I can't sleep because of that either.
  • We only live 20 minutes away.
Lily usually doesn't have a problem sleeping in her Pack-N-Play.  Last Saturday, however, was awful.  I don't know if it's because I set up the P-N-P in a different part of the room or if she was as irritated by that clock as I was or what, but she would. not. sleep.  I put her between us in the bed and she'd lay there for maybe five minutes before she decided she was wide awake and needed to be up and talking.  So it was back and forth between the bed and the P-N-P for hours.  I begged and pleaded with her to go back to sleep.  At one point I was on the floor and she had my whole half of the bed.  She'd lay her head down and ten minutes later: DING DING DING DONG, DONG DONG DING DONG.  And she'd be awake again.  I gave up at 4:30 AM and took her downstairs for some food and water.  We watched an episode of the Twilight Zone (who knew it was on at 4:30 AM) before we gave sleeping another shot.  Oh, and all this time Husband was sleeping like a baby through the entire night.  I don't remember what happened after we went back upstairs but Husband got up around 8 or 9 and I handed Lily to him.  "For the love of god," I hissed, "I only got four hours of broken sleep.  TAKE. THE. CHILD."

Mercifully I was able to sleep until 11:00.

Lily was a ball of cranky all day on Sunday.  That awful night made me extremely grateful to have a child who has slept through the night with very little problem since she was 8 weeks old.

No comments: