Ooh, I used a full-spectrum lamp to photograph this one. Marvel at my rice grains.
The verdict: it was all right. I think I would make some changes next time even if it would mean more fiddling and more cooking time. I would fry the tofu for a bit to get some texture on it. I wouldn't cook the eggplant quite so long. It's a fine line between mushy and tender and I crossed it. I'd like to see some more color in there too. Red bell pepper would be a very welcome addition. Maybe a whole szechuan pepper thrown in there for flavor too. The 3 tablespoons of cornstarch was a bit of overkill too, and let to a slightly pasty mouthfeel and dulled the flavor. Vegetable broth instead of water would bring a lot more to the party. The cilantro was key to the whole thing though. Without it this dish would be a total flop.
It's always strange when the garnish carries a whole meal.
I'm eating it for lunch so we'll see how it holds up on the second day.

No comments:
Post a Comment